The population of West Suffolk is 177,302 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. West Suffolk's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was -1.0% per year. West Suffolk covers an area of 1,035 square kilometres (399 square miles) and has a population density of 171 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in West Suffolk is predominantly white (96%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 4% of the population.
The median average age in West Suffolk in 2019 was 41.4, with over 18s representing 80.9% of the population. The sex ratio was 100.7 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of West Suffolk was approximately 102,477 or 60%, while the rural population was around 68,279 or 40%.
The largest religious group in West Suffolk is Christians who account for 63% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 95.8% of people in West Suffolk, and spoken either well or very well by 3% of the remaining population. 0.8% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.1% spoke no English at all.
Main page: West Suffolk Population
The population of West Suffolk is 177,302 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in West Suffolk grew by an estimated -1,743 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 5,821.
West Suffolk's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was -1.0%, which is 1.4% lower than the average population growth rate in West Suffolk for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.4%).
West Suffolk covers an area of 1,035 square kilometres (399 square miles) and has a population density of 171 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 6 people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 50.2% of West Suffolk's 177,302 population, while females made up 49.8% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 100.714 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of West Suffolk, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 143,418.
West Suffolk's age structure shows the working-age population to be 105,054 which is 59.3% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 19.1% of the population, and over 65s represent 21.6% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 63.6% to 61.5%.
West Suffolk's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in West Suffolk was 41.4 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 43.3 years, and the average male is 39.6 years.
Of the West Suffolk population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.0 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in West Suffolk is 82 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in West Suffolk has a life expectancy of 84 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 81 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in West Suffolk has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 79 years to a life expectancy of 82 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in West Suffolk is predominantly white (96.0%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 4.0% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in West Suffolk accounting for 1.5% of the population.
3,123 or 1% of the West Suffolk population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in West Suffolk were 3.0 in 2012 and 2.3 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.8, and 7.5 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, West Suffolk is the 22 nd happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.7 and were 7.4 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.9 and was 7.7 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within West Suffolk is Christians, accounting for 62.9% of the population.
West Suffolk has a Muslim population of 966 which is 0.5% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics