The population of West Northamptonshire is 406,733 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. West Northamptonshire's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was per year. West Northamptonshire covers an area of 1,377 square kilometres (532 square miles) and has a population density of 295 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in West Northamptonshire is predominantly white (90%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 10% of the population.
The median average age in West Northamptonshire in 2019 was 127.6, with over 18s representing 79.4% of the population. The sex ratio was 98.6 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of West Northamptonshire was approximately 252,860 or 67%, while the rural population was around 122,241 or 33%.
The largest religious group in West Northamptonshire is Christians who account for 60% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 93.5% of people in West Northamptonshire, and spoken either well or very well by 5% of the remaining population. 1.3% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.2% spoke no English at all.
Main page: West Northamptonshire Population
The population of West Northamptonshire is 406,733 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in West Northamptonshire grew by an estimated people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by .
West Northamptonshire's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was , which is
West Northamptonshire covers an area of 1,377 square kilometres (532 square miles) and has a population density of 295 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has by people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.6% of West Northamptonshire's 406,733 population, while females made up 50.4% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 98.559 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of West Northamptonshire, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 323,109.
West Northamptonshire's age structure shows the working-age population to be 250,500 which is 61.6% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 20.6% of the population, and over 65s represent 17.9% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 65.1% to 60.2%.
West Northamptonshire's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in West Northamptonshire was 127.6 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 129.3 years, and the average male is 125.9 years.
Of the West Northamptonshire population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.0 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in West Northamptonshire is 81 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in West Northamptonshire has a life expectancy of 83 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 80 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in West Northamptonshire has risen by 2 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 79 years to a life expectancy of 81 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in West Northamptonshire is predominantly white (89.8%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 10.2% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in West Northamptonshire accounting for 4.3% of the population.
11,598 or 3% of the West Northamptonshire population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Anxiety wellness data for West Northamptonshire isn't currently available, please try another area.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within West Northamptonshire is Christians, accounting for 60.3% of the population.
West Northamptonshire has a Muslim population of 9,535 which is 2.3% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics