The population of Tower Hamlets is 331,969 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Tower Hamlets's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 2.2% per year. Tower Hamlets covers an area of 20 square kilometres (8 square miles) and has a population density of 16,778 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Tower Hamlets is predominantly white (45%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 55% of the population.
The median average age in Tower Hamlets in 2019 was 31.6, with over 18s representing 79.8% of the population. The sex ratio was 108.8 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
The largest religious group in Tower Hamlets is Others who account for 35% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 65.8% of people in Tower Hamlets, and spoken either well or very well by 26% of the remaining population. 6.4% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 1.6% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Tower Hamlets Population
The population of Tower Hamlets is 331,969 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Tower Hamlets grew by an estimated 7,224 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 75,957.
Tower Hamlets's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 2.2%, which is 0.7% lower than the average population growth rate in Tower Hamlets for the ten years before mid-2020 (2.9%).
Tower Hamlets covers an area of 20 square kilometres (8 square miles) and has a population density of 16,778 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 3,839 people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 52.1% of Tower Hamlets's 331,969 population, while females made up 47.9% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 108.799 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Tower Hamlets, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 264,979.
Tower Hamlets's age structure shows the working-age population to be 243,208 which is 73.3% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 20.2% of the population, and over 65s represent 6.6% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 74.2% to 57.2%.
Tower Hamlets's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Tower Hamlets was 31.6 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 31.0 years, and the average male is 32.1 years.
Of the Tower Hamlets population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 1.7 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Tower Hamlets is 79 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Tower Hamlets has a life expectancy of 82 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 77 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Tower Hamlets has risen by 4 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 76 years to a life expectancy of 79 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Tower Hamlets is predominantly white (45.1%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 54.9% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Tower Hamlets accounting for 41.2% of the population.
18,629 or 7% of the Tower Hamlets population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Tower Hamlets were 3.5 in 2012 and 2.9 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.6, and 7.0 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Tower Hamlets is the 107 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.6 and were 7.0 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.8 and was 7.1 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Tower Hamlets is Others, accounting for 34.9% of the population.
Tower Hamlets has a Muslim population of 87,696 which is 26.4% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics