The population of South Ribble is 111,086 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. South Ribble's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was per year. South Ribble covers an area of 113 square kilometres (44 square miles) and has a population density of 983 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in South Ribble is predominantly white (97%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 3% of the population.
The median average age in South Ribble in 2019 was 44.6, with over 18s representing 81.9% of the population. The sex ratio was 95.6 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of South Ribble was approximately 107,166 or 98%, while the rural population was around 1,891 or 2%.
The largest religious group in South Ribble is Christians who account for 76% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 98.6% of people in South Ribble, and spoken either well or very well by 1% of the remaining population. 0.3% reported having poor English language skills.
Main page: South Ribble Population
The population of South Ribble is 111,086 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in South Ribble grew by an estimated people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by .
South Ribble's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was , which is
South Ribble covers an area of 113 square kilometres (44 square miles) and has a population density of 983 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has by people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 48.9% of South Ribble's 111,086 population, while females made up 51.1% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 95.552 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of South Ribble, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 91,028.
South Ribble's age structure shows the working-age population to be 67,063 which is 60.4% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 18.1% of the population, and over 65s represent 21.6% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 63.8% to 62.7%.
South Ribble's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in South Ribble was 44.6 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 45.5 years, and the average male is 43.6 years.
Of the South Ribble population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.0 to 1.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in South Ribble is predominantly white (97.1%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 2.9% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in South Ribble accounting for 1.5% of the population.
268 or 0% of the South Ribble population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in South Ribble were 3.4 in 2012 and 3.0 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.4, and 7.2 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, South Ribble is the 258 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.6 and were 7.5 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.8 and was 7.9 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within South Ribble is Christians, accounting for 75.7% of the population.
South Ribble has a Muslim population of 592 which is 0.5% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics