The population of South Lakeland is 104,905 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. South Lakeland's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was -0.2% per year. South Lakeland covers an area of 1,533 square kilometres (592 square miles) and has a population density of 68 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in South Lakeland is predominantly white (98%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 2% of the population.
The median average age in South Lakeland in 2019 was 51.3, with over 18s representing 85.3% of the population. The sex ratio was 96.5 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of South Lakeland was approximately 40,503 or 39%, while the rural population was around 63,155 or 61%.
The largest religious group in South Lakeland is Christians who account for 68% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 97.8% of people in South Lakeland, and spoken either well or very well by 2% of the remaining population. 0.3% reported having poor English language skills.
Main page: South Lakeland Population
The population of South Lakeland is 104,905 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in South Lakeland grew by an estimated -183 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 1,192.
South Lakeland's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was -0.2%, which is 0.3% lower than the average population growth rate in South Lakeland for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.1%).
South Lakeland covers an area of 1,533 square kilometres (592 square miles) and has a population density of 68 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 1 people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.1% of South Lakeland's 104,905 population, while females made up 50.9% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 96.459 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of South Lakeland, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 89,514.
South Lakeland's age structure shows the working-age population to be 59,419 which is 56.6% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 14.7% of the population, and over 65s represent 28.7% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 60.3% to 59.6%.
South Lakeland's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in South Lakeland was 51.3 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 52.3 years, and the average male is 50.2 years.
Of the South Lakeland population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.2 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in South Lakeland is 82 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in South Lakeland has a life expectancy of 83 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 81 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in South Lakeland has risen by 2 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 80 years to a life expectancy of 82 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in South Lakeland is predominantly white (98.4%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 1.6% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in South Lakeland accounting for 0.8% of the population.
183 or 0% of the South Lakeland population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in South Lakeland were 3.2 in 2012 and 2.5 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.7, and 7.2 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, South Lakeland is the 48 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.9 and were 7.7 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 8.0 and was 7.8 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within South Lakeland is Christians, accounting for 68.1% of the population.
South Lakeland has a Muslim population of 175 which is 0.2% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics