The population of Rochdale is 224,087 according to mid-2021 population figures published by the ONS. Rochdale's population growth rate between mid-2020 and mid-2021 was 0.6% per year. Rochdale covers an area of 158 square kilometres (61 square miles) and has a population density of 1,417 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2021.
According to the latest 2021 census, the population in Rochdale is predominantly white (74%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 26% of the population.
The median average age in Rochdale in 2021 was 38.4, with over 18s representing 79.6% of the population. The sex ratio was 96.2 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2021, the urban population of Rochdale was approximately 209,122 or 99%, while the rural population was around 2,577 or 1%.
The largest religious group in Rochdale is Christians who account for 47% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 90.5% of people in Rochdale, and spoken either well or very well by 7% of the population. 2.5% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.5% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Rochdale Population
The population of Rochdale is 224,087 according to mid-2021 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2020 and mid-2021, the population in Rochdale grew by an estimated 428 people, and in the ten years before mid-2021, the population grew by .
Rochdale's population growth rate between mid-2020 and mid-2021 was 0.6%, which is 0.1% lower than the average population growth rate in Rochdale for the ten years before mid-2021 (0.6%).
Rochdale covers an area of 158 square kilometres (61 square miles) and has a population density of 1,417 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2021. That figure has by people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.0% of Rochdale's 224,087 population, while females made up 51.0% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 96.158 males to every 100 females in 2021. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 96 males to every 100 females in 2021.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Rochdale, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 178,294.
Rochdale's age structure shows the working-age population to be 141,232 which is 63.0% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 20.4% of the population, and over 65s represent 16.5% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from to .
Rochdale's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Rochdale was 38.4 years in 2019.
Of the Rochdale population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.2 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Rochdale is 79 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Rochdale has a life expectancy of 81 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 77 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Rochdale has risen by 2 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 77 years to a life expectancy of 79 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2021 census, the population in Rochdale is predominantly white (74.0%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 26.0% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Rochdale accounting for 18.5% of the population.
7,927 or 4% of the Rochdale population are black according to the latest 2021 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 81%. 10% are Asian and 4% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
According to the latest 2021 census, the most populous religious group within Rochdale is Christians, accounting for 46.9% of the population.
Rochdale has a Muslim population of 42,121 which is 18.8% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 46% of the population is Christian, 7% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2023. Data sources: ONS Local statistics