The population of Peterborough is 202,626 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Peterborough's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was per year. Peterborough covers an area of 343 square kilometres (133 square miles) and has a population density of 590 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Peterborough is predominantly white (82%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 18% of the population.
The median average age in Peterborough in 2019 was 36.7, with over 18s representing 76.3% of the population. The sex ratio was 101.0 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Peterborough was approximately 161,879 or 88%, while the rural population was around 21,752 or 12%.
The largest religious group in Peterborough is Christians who account for 57% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 83.9% of people in Peterborough, and spoken either well or very well by 11% of the remaining population. 4.1% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.8% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Peterborough Population
The population of Peterborough is 202,626 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Peterborough grew by an estimated people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by .
Peterborough's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was , which is
Peterborough covers an area of 343 square kilometres (133 square miles) and has a population density of 590 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has by people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 50.2% of Peterborough's 202,626 population, while females made up 49.8% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 100.951 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Peterborough, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 154,675.
Peterborough's age structure shows the working-age population to be 124,182 which is 61.3% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 23.7% of the population, and over 65s represent 15.0% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 65.1% to 59.3%.
Peterborough's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Peterborough was 36.7 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 37.6 years, and the average male is 35.8 years.
Of the Peterborough population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.1 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Peterborough is 80 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Peterborough has a life expectancy of 82 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 78 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Peterborough has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 77 years to a life expectancy of 80 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Peterborough is predominantly white (82.5%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 17.5% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Peterborough accounting for 11.7% of the population.
4,164 or 2% of the Peterborough population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Peterborough were 3.3 in 2012 and 3.0 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.5, and 7.2 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Peterborough is the 160 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.6 and were 7.3 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.8 and was 7.7 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Peterborough is Christians, accounting for 56.7% of the population.
Peterborough has a Muslim population of 17,251 which is 8.5% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics