The population of Outer London is 5,342,256 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Outer London's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.2% per year. Outer London covers an area of 1,253 square kilometres (484 square miles) and has a population density of 4,264 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Outer London is predominantly white (61%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 39% of the population.
The median average age in Outer London in 2019 was 708.0, with over 18s representing 78.2% of the population. The sex ratio was 98.5 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Outer London was approximately 4,926,671 or 100%, while the rural population was around 15,369 or 0%.
The largest religious group in Outer London is Christians who account for 50% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 79.9% of people in Outer London, and spoken either well or very well by 16% of the remaining population. 3.2% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.6% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Outer London Population
The population of Outer London is 5,342,256 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Outer London grew by an estimated 13,102 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 378,951.
Outer London's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.2%, which is 0.6% lower than the average population growth rate in Outer London for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.8%).
Outer London covers an area of 1,253 square kilometres (484 square miles) and has a population density of 4,264 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 302 people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.6% of Outer London's 5,342,256 population, while females made up 50.4% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 98.488 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Outer London, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 4,179,096.
Outer London's age structure shows the working-age population to be 3,436,011 which is 64.3% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 21.8% of the population, and over 65s represent 13.9% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 66.5% to 61.7%.
Outer London's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Outer London was 708.0 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 723.7 years, and the average male is 692.0 years.
Of the Outer London population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.0 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Outer London is 82 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Outer London has a life expectancy of 84 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 80 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Outer London has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 79 years to a life expectancy of 82 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Outer London is predominantly white (61.4%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 38.6% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Outer London accounting for 20.2% of the population.
548,459 or 11% of the Outer London population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Outer London were 3.3 in 2012 and 3.1 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.4, and 7.2 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Outer London is the 222 nd happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.6 and were 7.3 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.8 and was 7.6 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Outer London is Christians, accounting for 50.4% of the population.
Outer London has a Muslim population of 546,558 which is 10.2% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics