The population of Merseyside is 1,434,256 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Merseyside's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.3% per year. Merseyside covers an area of 647 square kilometres (250 square miles) and has a population density of 2,218 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Merseyside is predominantly white (95%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 5% of the population.
The median average age in Merseyside in 2019 was 207.9, with over 18s representing 81.9% of the population. The sex ratio was 95.8 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Merseyside was approximately 1,362,950 or 99%, while the rural population was around 18,239 or 1%.
The largest religious group in Merseyside is Christians who account for 74% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 96.9% of people in Merseyside, and spoken either well or very well by 2% of the remaining population. 0.6% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.1% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Merseyside Population
The population of Merseyside is 1,434,256 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Merseyside grew by an estimated 4,346 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 53,486.
Merseyside's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.3%, which is 0.1% lower than the average population growth rate in Merseyside for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.4%).
Merseyside covers an area of 647 square kilometres (250 square miles) and has a population density of 2,218 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 83 people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 48.9% of Merseyside's 1,434,256 population, while females made up 51.1% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 95.755 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Merseyside, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 1,174,045.
Merseyside's age structure shows the working-age population to be 899,755 which is 62.7% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 18.1% of the population, and over 65s represent 19.1% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 64.9% to 62.5%.
Merseyside's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Merseyside was 207.9 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 214.3 years, and the average male is 201.2 years.
Of the Merseyside population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.2 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Merseyside is 79 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Merseyside has a life expectancy of 81 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 77 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Merseyside has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 77 years to a life expectancy of 79 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Merseyside is predominantly white (94.5%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 5.5% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Merseyside accounting for 2.2% of the population.
14,552 or 1% of the Merseyside population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Anxiety wellness data for Merseyside isn't currently available, please try another area.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Merseyside is Christians, accounting for 74.0% of the population.
Merseyside has a Muslim population of 19,247 which is 1.3% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics