The population of Leeds is 798,786 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Leeds's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was per year. Leeds covers an area of 552 square kilometres (213 square miles) and has a population density of 1,448 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Leeds is predominantly white (85%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 15% of the population.
The median average age in Leeds in 2019 was 35.3, with over 18s representing 80.7% of the population. The sex ratio was 96.4 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Leeds was approximately 708,450 or 94%, while the rural population was around 43,035 or 6%.
The largest religious group in Leeds is Christians who account for 56% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 92.9% of people in Leeds, and spoken either well or very well by 6% of the remaining population. 1.3% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.3% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Leeds Population
The population of Leeds is 798,786 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Leeds grew by an estimated people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by .
Leeds's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was , which is
Leeds covers an area of 552 square kilometres (213 square miles) and has a population density of 1,448 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has by people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.1% of Leeds's 798,786 population, while females made up 50.9% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 96.422 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Leeds, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 644,366.
Leeds's age structure shows the working-age population to be 520,582 which is 65.2% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 19.3% of the population, and over 65s represent 15.5% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 67.0% to 62.9%.
Leeds's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Leeds was 35.3 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 36.2 years, and the average male is 34.3 years.
Of the Leeds population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.2 to 1.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Leeds is predominantly white (85.1%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 14.9% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Leeds accounting for 7.8% of the population.
25,893 or 3% of the Leeds population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Leeds were 3.1 in 2012 and 3.1 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.4, and 7.1 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Leeds is the 234 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.6 and were 7.4 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.7 and was 7.7 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Leeds is Christians, accounting for 55.9% of the population.
Leeds has a Muslim population of 40,772 which is 5.1% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics