The population of Inner London is 3,660,232 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Inner London's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.8% per year. Inner London covers an area of 319 square kilometres (123 square miles) and has a population density of 11,464 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Inner London is predominantly white (57%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 43% of the population.
The median average age in Inner London in 2019 was 484.8, with over 18s representing 81.1% of the population. The sex ratio was 101.7 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Inner London was approximately 3,231,276 or 100%, while the rural population was around 625 or 0%.
The largest religious group in Inner London is Christians who account for 45% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 74.8% of people in Inner London, and spoken either well or very well by 21% of the remaining population. 3.9% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.7% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Inner London Population
The population of Inner London is 3,660,232 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Inner London grew by an estimated 27,397 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 419,130.
Inner London's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.8%, which is 0.6% lower than the average population growth rate in Inner London for the ten years before mid-2020 (1.4%).
Inner London covers an area of 319 square kilometres (123 square miles) and has a population density of 11,464 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 1,313 people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 50.4% of Inner London's 3,660,232 population, while females made up 49.6% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 101.678 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Inner London, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 2,970,185.
Inner London's age structure shows the working-age population to be 2,614,817 which is 71.4% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 18.9% of the population, and over 65s represent 9.7% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 73.0% to 64.6%.
Inner London's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Inner London was 484.8 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 484.9 years, and the average male is 484.8 years.
Of the Inner London population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 1.6 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Inner London is 81 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Inner London has a life expectancy of 83 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 79 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Inner London has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 78 years to a life expectancy of 81 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Inner London is predominantly white (57.3%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 42.7% of the population.
Black people were the largest minority group in Inner London accounting for 16.7% of the population.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Inner London were 3.5 in 2012 and 3.3 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.3, and 7.2 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Inner London is the 325 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.4 and were 7.2 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.6 and was 7.4 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Inner London is Christians, accounting for 45.4% of the population.
Inner London has a Muslim population of 466,265 which is 12.7% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics