The population of Hastings is 90,959 according to mid-2021 population figures published by the ONS. Hastings's population growth rate between mid-2020 and mid-2021 was per year. Hastings covers an area of 30 square kilometres (11 square miles) and has a population density of 3,060 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2021.
According to the latest 2021 census, the population in Hastings is predominantly white (91%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 9% of the population.
The median average age in Hastings in 2021 was 43.6, with over 18s representing 83.2% of the population. The sex ratio was 94.3 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
The largest religious group in Hastings is Others who account for 59% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 94.8% of people in Hastings, and spoken either well or very well by 4% of the population. 0.7% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.1% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Hastings Population
The population of Hastings is 90,959 according to mid-2021 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2020 and mid-2021, the population in Hastings grew by an estimated people, and in the ten years before mid-2021, the population grew by .
Hastings's population growth rate between mid-2020 and mid-2021 was , which is
Hastings covers an area of 30 square kilometres (11 square miles) and has a population density of 3,060 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2021. That figure has by people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 48.5% of Hastings's 90,959 population, while females made up 51.5% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 94.332 males to every 100 females in 2021. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 96 males to every 100 females in 2021.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Hastings, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 75,709.
Hastings's age structure shows the working-age population to be 57,212 which is 62.9% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 16.8% of the population, and over 65s represent 20.3% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from to .
Hastings's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Hastings was 43.6 years in 2019.
Of the Hastings population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.3 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Hastings is 80 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Hastings has a life expectancy of 82 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 78 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Hastings has risen by 2 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 78 years to a life expectancy of 80 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2021 census, the population in Hastings is predominantly white (91.4%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 8.6% of the population.
Mixed people were the largest minority group in Hastings accounting for 2.9% of the population.
1,262 or 1% of the Hastings population are black according to the latest 2021 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 81%. 10% are Asian and 4% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Hastings House Prices
According to the latest 2021 census, the most populous religious group within Hastings is Others, accounting for 58.9% of the population.
Hastings has a Muslim population of 1,767 which is 1.9% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 46% of the population is Christian, 7% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2023. Data sources: ONS Local statistics