The population of Ealing is 340,341 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Ealing's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was -0.4% per year. Ealing covers an area of 56 square kilometres (21 square miles) and has a population density of 6,127 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Ealing is predominantly white (49%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 51% of the population.
The median average age in Ealing in 2019 was 37.0, with over 18s representing 78.1% of the population. The sex ratio was 101.3 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
The largest religious group in Ealing is Christians who account for 44% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 66.1% of people in Ealing, and spoken either well or very well by 27% of the remaining population. 6.1% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 1.1% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Ealing Population
The population of Ealing is 340,341 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Ealing grew by an estimated -1,465 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 1,027.
Ealing's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was -0.4%, which is 0.5% lower than the average population growth rate in Ealing for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.0%).
Ealing covers an area of 56 square kilometres (21 square miles) and has a population density of 6,127 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 18 people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 50.3% of Ealing's 340,341 population, while females made up 49.7% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 101.322 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Ealing, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 265,882.
Ealing's age structure shows the working-age population to be 220,221 which is 64.7% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 21.9% of the population, and over 65s represent 13.4% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 68.9% to 68.7%.
Ealing's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Ealing was 37.0 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 37.9 years, and the average male is 36.2 years.
Of the Ealing population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 1.6 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Ealing is 81 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Ealing has a life expectancy of 84 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 79 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Ealing has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 79 years to a life expectancy of 81 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Ealing is predominantly white (48.9%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 51.1% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Ealing accounting for 29.7% of the population.
36,860 or 11% of the Ealing population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Ealing were 3.9 in 2012 and 3.0 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.5, and 7.0 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Ealing is the 198 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.6 and were 7.2 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.7 and was 7.6 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Ealing is Christians, accounting for 43.7% of the population.
Ealing has a Muslim population of 53,198 which is 15.6% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics