The population of Croydon is 388,563 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Croydon's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was per year. Croydon covers an area of 86 square kilometres (33 square miles) and has a population density of 4,492 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Croydon is predominantly white (55%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 45% of the population.
The median average age in Croydon in 2019 was 37.6, with over 18s representing 77.9% of the population. The sex ratio was 94.5 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
The largest religious group in Croydon is Christians who account for 56% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 85.5% of people in Croydon, and spoken either well or very well by 12% of the remaining population. 2.1% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.3% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Croydon Population
The population of Croydon is 388,563 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Croydon grew by an estimated people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by .
Croydon's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was , which is
Croydon covers an area of 86 square kilometres (33 square miles) and has a population density of 4,492 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has by people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 48.6% of Croydon's 388,563 population, while females made up 51.4% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 94.488 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Croydon, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 302,726.
Croydon's age structure shows the working-age population to be 248,678 which is 64.0% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 22.1% of the population, and over 65s represent 13.9% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 66.0% to 62.0%.
Croydon's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Croydon was 37.6 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 38.4 years, and the average male is 36.8 years.
Of the Croydon population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 1.8 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Croydon is 81 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Croydon has a life expectancy of 83 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 79 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Croydon has risen by 2 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 79 years to a life expectancy of 81 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Croydon is predominantly white (55.1%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 44.9% of the population.
Black people were the largest minority group in Croydon accounting for 20.2% of the population.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Croydon were 3.5 in 2012 and 2.5 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.5, and 7.2 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Croydon is the 152 nd happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.7 and were 7.0 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.8 and was 7.6 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Croydon is Christians, accounting for 56.4% of the population.
Croydon has a Muslim population of 29,513 which is 7.6% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics