The population of Craven is 57,338 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Craven's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.3% per year. Craven covers an area of 1,177 square kilometres (455 square miles) and has a population density of 49 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Craven is predominantly white (97%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 3% of the population.
The median average age in Craven in 2019 was 50.6, with over 18s representing 84.5% of the population. The sex ratio was 94.3 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Craven was approximately 22,187 or 40%, while the rural population was around 33,222 or 60%.
The largest religious group in Craven is Christians who account for 67% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 98.3% of people in Craven, and spoken either well or very well by 1% of the remaining population. 0.2% reported having poor English language skills.
Main page: Craven Population
The population of Craven is 57,338 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Craven grew by an estimated 196 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 1,879.
Craven's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.3%, which is 0.0% lower than the average population growth rate in Craven for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.4%).
Craven covers an area of 1,177 square kilometres (455 square miles) and has a population density of 49 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 2 people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 48.5% of Craven's 57,338 population, while females made up 51.5% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 94.268 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Craven, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 48,438.
Craven's age structure shows the working-age population to be 32,520 which is 56.7% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 15.5% of the population, and over 65s represent 27.8% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 60.4% to 58.4%.
Craven's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Craven was 50.6 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 51.7 years, and the average male is 49.4 years.
Of the Craven population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.6 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Craven is 83 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Craven has a life expectancy of 85 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 81 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Craven has risen by 2 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 80 years to a life expectancy of 83 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Craven is predominantly white (97.4%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 2.6% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Craven accounting for 1.8% of the population.
61 or 0% of the Craven population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Craven were 2.9 in 2012 and 2.3 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 8.0, and 7.9 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Craven is the 4 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 8.1 and were 7.8 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 8.1 and was 7.7 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Craven is Christians, accounting for 67.3% of the population.
Craven has a Muslim population of 506 which is 0.9% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics