The population of Colchester is 197,200 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Colchester's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 1.3% per year. Colchester covers an area of 329 square kilometres (127 square miles) and has a population density of 599 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Colchester is predominantly white (92%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 8% of the population.
The median average age in Colchester in 2019 was 37.9, with over 18s representing 81.3% of the population. The sex ratio was 99.3 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Colchester was approximately 121,859 or 70%, while the rural population was around 51,215 or 30%.
The largest religious group in Colchester is Christians who account for 58% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 94.2% of people in Colchester, and spoken either well or very well by 5% of the remaining population. 0.6% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.1% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Colchester Population
The population of Colchester is 197,200 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Colchester grew by an estimated 2,494 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 23,586.
Colchester's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 1.3%, which is 0.1% lower than the average population growth rate in Colchester for the ten years before mid-2020 (1.4%).
Colchester covers an area of 329 square kilometres (127 square miles) and has a population density of 599 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 72 people per km2 over the past decade.
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.8% of Colchester's 197,200 population, while females made up 50.2% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 99.294 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Colchester, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 160,232.
Colchester's age structure shows the working-age population to be 126,176 which is 64.0% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 18.7% of the population, and over 65s represent 17.3% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 65.8% to 57.9%.
Colchester's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Colchester was 37.9 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 39.1 years, and the average male is 36.6 years.
Of the Colchester population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.0 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Colchester is 82 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Colchester has a life expectancy of 83 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 80 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Colchester has risen by 2 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 80 years to a life expectancy of 82 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Colchester is predominantly white (92.0%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 8.0% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Colchester accounting for 3.7% of the population.
2,575 or 1% of the Colchester population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Colchester were 3.4 in 2012 and 3.4 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.3, and 7.4 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Colchester is the 289 th happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.5 and were 7.3 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.8 and was 7.7 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Colchester is Christians, accounting for 57.7% of the population.
Colchester has a Muslim population of 2,762 which is 1.4% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics