The population of Buckinghamshire is 547,060 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Buckinghamshire's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.6% per year. Buckinghamshire covers an area of 1,565 square kilometres (604 square miles) and has a population density of 350 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Buckinghamshire is predominantly white (86%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 14% of the population.
The median average age in Buckinghamshire in 2019 was 42.2, with over 18s representing 79.3% of the population. The sex ratio was 96.3 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Buckinghamshire was approximately 339,543 or 67%, while the rural population was around 165,740 or 33%.
The largest religious group in Buckinghamshire is Christians who account for 61% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 94.3% of people in Buckinghamshire, and spoken either well or very well by 5% of the remaining population. 0.9% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.2% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Buckinghamshire Population
The population of Buckinghamshire is 547,060 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Buckinghamshire grew by an estimated 3,087 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 40,510.
Buckinghamshire's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.6%, which is 0.3% lower than the average population growth rate in Buckinghamshire for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.9%).
Buckinghamshire covers an area of 1,565 square kilometres (604 square miles) and has a population density of 350 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 26 people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.0% of Buckinghamshire's 547,060 population, while females made up 51.0% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 96.263 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Buckinghamshire, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 433,678.
Buckinghamshire's age structure shows the working-age population to be 329,564 which is 60.2% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 20.7% of the population, and over 65s represent 19.0% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 63.1% to 58.4%.
Buckinghamshire's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Buckinghamshire was 42.2 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 42.9 years, and the average male is 41.4 years.
Of the Buckinghamshire population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 2.3 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Buckinghamshire is 83 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Buckinghamshire has a life expectancy of 84 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 81 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Buckinghamshire has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 80 years to a life expectancy of 83 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Buckinghamshire is predominantly white (86.4%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 13.6% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Buckinghamshire accounting for 8.6% of the population.
10,490 or 2% of the Buckinghamshire population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Anxiety wellness data for Buckinghamshire isn't currently available, please try another area.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Buckinghamshire is Christians, accounting for 60.5% of the population.
Buckinghamshire has a Muslim population of 25,781 which is 4.7% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics