The population of Bolton is 288,248 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. Bolton's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.2% per year. Bolton covers an area of 140 square kilometres (54 square miles) and has a population density of 2,062 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Bolton is predominantly white (82%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 18% of the population.
The median average age in Bolton in 2019 was 38.8, with over 18s representing 78.5% of the population. The sex ratio was 98.7 males to every 100 females. Compare average age by area.
In 2011, the urban population of Bolton was approximately 274,298 or 99%, while the rural population was around 2,488 or 1%.
The largest religious group in Bolton is Christians who account for 63% of the population.
English is spoken as the main language by 91.5% of people in Bolton, and spoken either well or very well by 6% of the remaining population. 2.0% reported having poor English language skills, and the remaining 0.4% spoke no English at all.
Main page: Bolton Population
The population of Bolton is 288,248 according to mid-2020 population figures published by the ONS. In the year between mid-2019 and mid-2020, the population in Bolton grew by an estimated 698 people, and in the ten years before mid-2020, the population grew by 10,952.
Bolton's population growth rate between mid-2019 and mid-2020 was 0.2%, which is 0.2% lower than the average population growth rate in Bolton for the ten years before mid-2020 (0.4%).
Bolton covers an area of 140 square kilometres (54 square miles) and has a population density of 2,062 people per square kilometre (km2), based on the latest population estimates taken in mid-2020. That figure has increased by 78 people per km2 over the past decade.
Custom interactive dashboards built for your public or private sector business
Reports customised with your logo and company colour schemes
Get email notifications when new up-to-date data is added to your reports
Save your reports as PDFs or Word Docs
No upfront costs - we have affordable subscription plans
According to mid-year population estimates published by the ONS in 2019, males account for 49.7% of Bolton's 288,248 population, while females made up 50.3% of the total.
The sex ratio (the number of males for each female in a population) was 98.676 males to every 100 females in 2011. In England as a whole, the gender ratio was 98 males to every 100 females in 2011.
Age statistics collected by the ONS show the adult population of Bolton, that is how many people there are over the age of 18, is 226,233.
Bolton's age structure shows the working-age population to be 176,177 which is 61.1% of the population. People under the age of 16 represent 21.5% of the population, and over 65s represent 17.4% of the population. The percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years from 63.9% to 61.5%.
Bolton's age pyramid shows how the population is distributed by age and gender.
The median average age of someone in Bolton was 38.8 years in 2019. Split by gender, the average female age is 39.9 years, and the average male is 37.7 years.
Of the Bolton population over the age of 90, girls outnumber boys by 1.8 to 1.
The life expectancy of someone born today in Bolton is 79 years. Split by gender, a girl born today in Bolton has a life expectancy of 81 years, and a boy has a life expectancy of 77 years. Compare life expectancy by area.
As a comparison, in England as a whole, current life expectancy at birth is 81 years, for females that rises to 83 years and for males it falls to 79 years.
The life expectancy for someone born in Bolton has risen by 3 years over the past decade, from a life expectancy of 77 years to a life expectancy of 79 years. In England as a whole, life expectancies have risen by 3 years.
According to the latest 2011 census, the population in Bolton is predominantly white (81.9%), with non-white minorities representing the remaining 18.1% of the population.
Asian people were the largest minority group in Bolton accounting for 14.0% of the population.
4,652 or 2% of the Bolton population are black according to the latest 2011 census.
In England more broadly the portion of the population that is white is 85.4%. 7.8% are Asian and 3.5% are Black.
Estimates of personal wellbeing in the UK are published by the ONS annually, with scores for anxiety, happiness, life satisfaction, and feeling that life is worthwhile. Overall scores are based on surveying a representative sample of the population and are scored out of 10 (.e.g for happiness 0 is 'not at all happy' and 10 is 'completely happy').
Levels of reported Anxiety in Bolton were 3.1 in 2012 and 2.9 in 2021. In the rest of England levels of Anxiety are currently 3.1.
Reported levels of Happiness in 2021 were 7.4, and 7.2 in 2012. In England, the average happiness indicator is currently 7.5. Of the 363 areas in England, Bolton is the 263 rd happiest area in England.
Life satisfaction scores for 2021 are 7.5 and were 7.3 in 2012. For the feeling that things done in life are worthwhile the 2021 level is 7.8 and was 7.6 in 2012.
According to the latest 2011 census, the most populous religious group within Bolton is Christians, accounting for 62.7% of the population.
Bolton has a Muslim population of 32,385 which is 11.2% of the population.
Compared to England as a whole, in England circa 59% of the population is Christian, 5% is Muslim, 2% is Hindu, and Buddhists, Sikhs and Jews each is around 1%. The remainder is split between people with no religion and those who decided not to identify a religion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Data sources: ONS Local statistics